Sunday, November 8, 2009

An Ode to Stan Crane

The home improvements here at the Churn continue unabated.

The most recent project is re-painting the entire exterior. For this job, I have contracted with some very good painters that have been flying through the work over the past three glorious days. Indian summer is in full swing and only the trim remains.

I took down two sections of railing on our newly completed deck so the siding could be painted. This evening I walked out to inspect the paint. As I looked around I noticed that I was paying unintended homage to the great Stan Crane. Those of you that are in the know will immediately recognize this photo:

For those of you that didn't happen to be climbing Angel's Landing in the early 80's, imagine this photo but swap the deck for a sandstone cliff and the 8' drop for a 2000' fall. You get the idea.

So, huzzah!, to Stan. The memory lives on.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I've heard this story many times and remembered it while on top of Angels Landing as I panicked watching my kids roam around.