Saturday, January 9, 2010

Under the Wings of a Blackbird

It's almost 1:00am and this is the view from my sleeping bag.


Hanging above me in the night is a SR-71 Blackbird, the most beautiful plane ever built.  I'm surrounded by 100 Cub Scouts.  One of them, my son, is sleeping quietly on the pad next to me.  I can't help but have two feelings: 

1.  How wonderful it is to have a son and to be able to share fantastic moments with him, and
2.  What the human spirit can accomplish when it wants to.

The Blackbird was designed in the 1950's - with a slide rule - and is still the fastest plane on the planet.  Every time I stand next to one I am touched, I kid you not, on a spiritual level.

My son was born almost seven years ago.  Every time we're together I can't believe that I have a part in his making and am touched, I kid you not, on a spiritual level.

It's late, I'm perfectly comfortable (it's -24F outside), and I can't seem to sleep.  Whether it's the awe I feel for what's above me or what's beside me that's keeping me up is anyone's guess.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

What a cool post! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Gregory and Tracey Butters said...

What a good Daddy you are. This truly puts a new light on man who I am always very impressed with. This will be a keeper when that 7 year old grows up.

Kari said...

I have to tell you we just had a lesson in church about "The Creation" and I couldn't help but think of your post. You really captured a special moment of a father and his son.

snjbutters said...

Roger, I have said this before - you should have been a professional writer! Your comments go beyond the mark!