Sunday, September 20, 2009

It Only Took Four Years

When we moved into our new home we quickly noticed several things that our home inspector should have noticed but didn't.

One was the rotted supports holding up our deck in the backyard. Another was the rotted supports for the staircase going from it to our lawn.

The vertical supports had to go and with the help of my brother and father, I replaced them within the first few months we were here. I did some quick fixes for the staircase and then let them be.

Yesterday, with the help and encouragement of my sweet wife, I finally took the time to tear out the old staircase and build a new one.

Voila'

When doing the demolition I was amazed to discover how badly the old stringers and supports had rotted. The Churn Mistress and I both think that the stairs were staying in place simply because they had nowhere else to go. I can't believe that a step hadn't failed on one of the kids much less beneath my ponderous mass.

It took six hours, two very sore backs and $137 worth of wood, nails and glue, but now it's done.

Finally.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Impressive! We have a whole bunch of projects that we need to finally face at our house as well.

Lisa said...

Hey there, just coming to see how you guys are doing. That's some pretty impressive craftsmanship there. I also appreciate the birthday gift. Wow. But my favorite picture is the first skeet shooting one. Looking dangerous.

Gregory and Tracey Butters said...

Well done, my friend! I am completely impressed with the exceedingly fine workmanship (to coin a phrase) demonstrated in this new staircase. The feeling of completion must be greater than the stairs themselves. We miss you guys! Love from China.

Heather S said...

Hey Roger, it looks great. I can't believe it only took 6 hours.